House Committee on Higher Education - 65th R.S. (1977)
- Oversight responsibility of agency expenditures and related transactions. This function shall encompass a review and monitoring of all appropriations-related actions of those agencies assigned to this committee for appropriative purposes during the 65th Regular Session of the Legislature.
- Study of alternative means of aiding citizens of the State in obtaining a college education. This study should review possible alternatives to the Tuition Equalization Grant program, including voucher systems and offset grant programs and should include a review of the cost implications and educational significance thereof.
- A review of the financial necessity for and ramifications of allowing ad valorem tax funds available for higher education to be used for maintenance and renovation purposes as well as for new construction.
- A review of alternative methods for the funding of junior colleges in Texas, including recommendations for developing a long range plan for junior college financing.
- A study of the tuition policy of state institutions of higher education with regard to the realistic costs of education as compared to actual percentage paid as tuition. This study should include recommendations as to tuition paid not only by in-state students but by out-of-state and foreign students as well.
- A study of the desirability of terminating mandatory dormitory residency requirements for certain students of state institutions of higher education.
- Study the need to clarify the legal status of the Texas State Technical Institute.*
* This represents an abstract of the report contents. Charge text is incomplete or unavailable.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.