Senate Committee on Finance - 77th R.S. (2001)
- Survey and assess Texas' current tax system, including taxation authority given to units of local government. The survey should identify the economic value associated with all current taxes, as well as current exemptions and abatements. The Committee's report should include the information provided by the survey.
- Study the issue of rising medical costs and its impact on the state budget, including health and human services, correctional managed health care, education and state employee benefits. The Committee may review private pay insurance. The Committee's report should recommend ways to control cost increases and identify best practices and opportunities for savings.
- Evaluate the processes by which health and human services agencies assess the demand for services and allocate their appropriations to address program demands and requested rate increases.
- Monitor the implementation of SB 813 77th R.S., the creation of the Spaceport Trust Fund.
- Review the sources of revenue dedicated to the Crime Victims Compensation Fund and the purposes for which that Fund is expended. The Committee's report should recommend ways to ensure future revenues adequately address statutorily provided spending priorities.
- Evaluate the infrastructure, capacity and funding of trauma care, and develop recommendations to address the state's trauma care needs.
Tom Haywood (Member) died 7/12/2001. Todd Staples (Member) appointed 12/10/2001.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.