Senate Committee on Agriculture & Rural Affairs - 81st R.S. (2009)
- Study and make recommendations on new and innovative ways to increase investment, employment and production in Texas agriculture.
- Study current federal, state and local safeguards to protect our food supply. Identify gaps that may exist in Texas statute, agency roles, and authority for ensuring a safe food supply for Texas, including imported fruits and vegetables. Examine the impact of revised federal regulations on the State, and the potential impact of pending federal legislation. Examine the existing capabilities of the public health system on the border to accomplish public health surveillance of food.
- Study impact of windblown herbicides on grape growing and other agricultural production. Make recommendations for improving the safety and quality of Texas agricultural products.
- Study and make recommendations on the impact of feral hogs and other predators that hamper development of Texas agriculture.
Monitor the implementation of legislation addressed by the Senate Committee on Agriculture & Rural Affairs, 81st R.S., and make recommendations for any legislation needed to improve, enhance, and/or complete implementation. Specifically, consider the following:
- Monitor the establishment of the Texas Bioenergy Policy Council and the Texas Bioenergy Research Committee.
- Monitor the Texas Department of Agriculture's efforts to reduce or eliminate trans fatty acids in foods provided by Texas schools.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.