LRL Home - Legislation - State Budget
Texas State Budget
Budget process for the 2020-2021 biennium*
- The Texas Comptroller publishes the Texas Annual Cash Report, detailing revenues and expenditures from the previous fiscal year. View the 2019 Annual Cash Report.
- Fiscal Size-up will be produced biennially by the LBB, describing how funds were appropriated.
LBB: Legislative Budget Board;
GOBPP: Governor's Office of Budget, Planning & Policy;
LAR: Legislative Appropriations Request.
*Dates of events are approximate.
View budget timeline for the 2012-13 biennium | 2014-15 biennium | 2016-17 biennium | 2018-19 biennium
Budget documents and information
- General Appropriations Act for the current biennium
- 86th Regular Session, 2019.
- Governor's proposed budget 2020-2021
- Governor Greg Abbott's proposed base budget for 2020-2021.
- Biennial Revenue Estimate 2020-2021 (Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts)
- Detailed biennial revenue estimate as required of the Comptroller by Article III, Section 49a of the Texas Constitution.
- Agency Legislative Appropriations Requests (Legislative Budget Board)
- Legislative Appropriations Requests for the 2020-2021 biennium.
- Texas Annual Cash Report, Fiscal 2019 (Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts)
- Revenue and expenditures of state funds for the year ended August 31, 2019.
- Legislative Budget Board Staff Reports (Legislative Budget Board)
- Submitted to the 86th Texas House of Representatives. A compilation of efficiency and informal reports prepared by LBB staff.
- Texas Budget Source (Legislative Budget Board)
- The Legislative Budget Board developed the Texas Budget Source (TBS), a report generator, to provide the general public information on the Texas state budget. TBS extracts its data from the LBB's Automated Budget and Evaluation System of Texas (ABEST). Users may generate budget reports for a specific state agency. They may also generate reports organized by the articles of the General Appropriations Bill.
- The Legislative Budget Board website
- Documents from the current budgeting session are being continually added to this site. Other documents produced by the LBB, including Fiscal Size-Up and Texas Fact Book, are also available.
Past appropriations bills
- General appropriations acts (40th, 1st C.S. - 86th R.S.)
- Scanned versions of general appropriations acts and major biennial appropriations bills from 1927 - 2019.
Total appropriations by session, 1963 - 2017 (58th R.S. - 85th R.S.)
- Chart showing the total amount appropriated by each general appropriations act from the 58th through 85th Legislatures.
H.P.N. Gammel's The Laws of Texas (1822-1897)
- Contains the General and Special Laws of Texas for the 1st through 37th Legislatures, including appropriations bills.
Historical tax expenditures and revenue
- Texas Net Expenditures by Function
- Shows yearly expenditure totals from 1978 to the present for each function and the percent change from the previous year.
- Texas Net Expenditures by Object
- Shows yearly expenditure totals from 1978 to the present by object and the percent change from the previous year.
- Texas Net Revenue by Source
- Shows yearly net revenue from 1978 to the present by revenue source.
Information about the budget process
- Budget 101: A guide to the budget process in Texas (Senate Research Center, January 2019)
- Detailed primer on the budget-writing process in Texas. Includes descriptions of the legislative budgeting process, as well as the activities of other state offices and agencies, and provides a useful glossary of terms.
- Budget and Finance (Texas Comptroller)
- Includes links for budget and expenditure search tools, as well as budget, financial and economic reports produced by the Texas Comptroller.
- Writing the state budget: 86th Legislature (House Research Organization, February 2019)
- Overview of the budget-writing process currently underway in the 86th Legislature.
Includes a discussion of constitutional limits on state spending
Older budget documents
Older appropriations bills that are not available online may be found in print in the General and Special Laws of Texas at the Legislative Reference Library and several other Texas depository libraries.
State agency budgets, legislative appropriations requests, agency strategic plans, and other primary documents related to the budget process are also available in print at the Legislative Reference Library.
Please call the Library at 512-463-1252 for additional information.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regards to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.