House Committee on Insurance - 75th R.S. (1997)
- Conduct active oversight of the agencies under the committee's jurisdiction.
- Study the incremental costs of health insurance benefits mandated by the legislature. Explore ways for the legislature to obtain accurate information on the costs of mandates proposed by legislation. Evaluate the effects, if any, of currently mandated benefits on premium costs, the market, and access to coverage.
- Review issues related to insurance company claims handling and the laws relating to failure to handle claims in good faith.
- Conduct a review of the various lines of insurance and the extent to which the lines are regulated as to (1) premium rates, (2) policy forms, (3) financial integrity, (4) market conduct, and (5) other factors determined by the committee.
- Monitor federal banking reform initiatives to see that state interests in the regulation of financial institutions and insurance companies are protected. (Joint with the House Committee on Financial Institutions)
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.