House Committee on Transportation - 67th R.S. (1981)
Oversight functions shall be conducted for all appropriations-related actions of those agencies assigned to this committee for appropriative purposes during the 67th Regular Session of the Legislature. In addition, a study should be made of the impact of any federal cuts, and the differences in the operational aspect of the agencies under block vs. categorical grants. Close scrutiny should be given to each agency to ascertain if legislative intent is being carried out in the rules promulgated by the agency and if the rules are feasible and practical in their application. These agencies include:
Aircraft Pooling Board
State Department of Highways and Public Transportation
Railroad Commission (partial)
Texas Transportation Institute
Motor Vehicle Commission
Department of Public Safety (partial -- Traffic Law Enforcement)
Texas Aeronautics Commission
- Study rail safety in Texas. Examine the nature, extent and cause of accidents, and review track condition factors and inspection programs. Analyze the responsibilities of federal and state agencies and the private sector, and suggest measures that will lead to safer and more efficient use of the Texas rail network.
- Review the Highway Cost Index, its components and formulas. Examine highway funding in Texas, giving particular scrutiny to the areas of construction and maintenance, and make suitable recommendations. Review Texas highway construction problems, giving emphasis to ways of sustaining reasonable traffic flows while crews are resurfacing roads, methods of promoting safety and protecting maintenance crews while resurfacing roads.
- Continue to study the merits and demerits of intra-state deregulation of the trucking industry and the effect on services and ensurability of products moved in commerce. Review the experiences of Arizona, Florida and South Dakota.
- Review the history and nature of pilotage problems in Texas ports and make suitable recommendations.
- Study and review in cooperation with the Texas Railroad Commission the feasibility of establishing increased intercity rail service in Texas.
District 57C member was Alan Schoolcraft 1/13-1/15/1981 and 2/16/1981-1/11/1983; Albert D. Brown 1/15-2/16/1981.
No report was issued.
Charges are from Index to Interim Committees from the 67th & 68th Legislatures, L1800.1 In8 1981-84.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.