House Committee on General Investigating and Ethics - 85th R.S. (2017)
- Maintain oversight of federal, state, local, and charitable funds spent in response to Hurricane Harvey. Investigate instances of waste, fraud, or abuse involving such funds. Ensure that the State of Texas is maximizing federal disaster aid.
- Review conflict of interest laws governing public officers and employees to ensure that such laws are adequate to maintain the public’s confidence in government decision-making. Review personal financial statement requirements to ensure that the public has sufficient information on the private financial interests of public officers.
- Review criminal penalties under Chapter 305, Government Code (registration of lobbyists) and recommend improvements to maintain the integrity of legislative and administrative processes.
- Examine the Judicial Campaign Fairness Act and identify opportunities to improve the Act.
- Review procedures and processes used at the Texas Ethics Commission. Identify ways to resolve complaints more efficiently.
- Examine employment policies and practices at state agencies relating to the hiring of individuals who were terminated from employment with another state agency for misconduct.
- Review the implementation of S.B. 73 (85R) relating to leave policies and procedures for state employees.
- Examine laws and policies regulating travel by state agency officials to ensure that travel expenditures are in the best interest of the state.
- Investigate the use of state agency resources to participate in trade associations and groups funded by industries regulated by the agency.
- Monitor the agencies and programs under the Committee’s jurisdiction and oversee the implementation of relevant legislation passed by the 85th Legislature.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.