House Committee on Urban Affairs - 86th R.S. (2019)
Monitor the agencies and programs under the Committee's jurisdiction and oversee the implementation of relevant legislation passed by the 86th Legislature. Conduct active oversight of all associated rulemaking and other governmental actions taken to ensure intended legislative outcome of all legislation, including the following:
- HB 304, which relates to the governance of municipal management districts. Monitor municipalities' changes to governance of municipal management districts. Examine the potential utility of a standardized template for creation of municipal management districts.
- HB 1136, which relates to the process for creating a tourism public improvement district. Monitor municipalities that elect to create tourism public improvement districts by petition.
- HB 2858, which relates to adoption of a uniform swimming pool and spa code. Examine the process by which municipalities plan and implement the uniform swimming pool and spa code.
- Examine municipal ordinances and policies and their impact on local businesses and citizens and the overall impact on the economic health of the state and well-being of residents. Examine and make recommendations regarding municipal ordinances relating to the short-term rental industry, paid sick leave policies, and homelessness issues.
- Examine the cybersecurity needs of municipalities and other local governmental entities. Review steps taken to prepare for and respond to cyber attacks, including what resources are available from the state and federal governments. Make recommendations for best practices.
- Monitor the State Auditor's review of agencies and programs under the Committee's jurisdiction. The Chair shall seek input and periodic briefings on completed audits for the 2019 and 2020 fiscal years and bring forth pertinent issues for full committee consideration.
Christina Morales added 3/18/2019.
Lorraine Birabil added 2/18/2020.
Appointment letter, Speaker Dennis Bonnen, 2/18/2020
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.