House Committee on Business and Industry - 87th R.S. (2021)
Monitor the agencies and programs under the Committee’s jurisdiction and oversee the implementation of relevant legislation passed by the 87th Legislature. Conduct active oversight of all associated rulemaking and other governmental actions taken to ensure the intended legislative outcome of all legislation, including the following:
- HB 3746 87th R.S., relating to certain notifications required following a breach of security or computerized data;
- SB 22 87th R.S., relating to certain claims for benefits, compensation, or assistance by certain public safety employees and survivors of certain public safety employees; and
- SB 1588 87th R.S., and SB 581 87th R.S., relating to the powers and duties of certain property owners’ associations.
- Study workers’ compensation claims involving public safety employees described by SB 22 87th R.S. This study should include an analysis of medical costs, return-to-work outcomes, utilization of care, satisfaction with care, and health-related functional outcomes.
- Study the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on unemployment trends, hurdles to workforce reentry, and industry-specific disruptions.
- Study the impact of organized retail crime on Texas businesses. Make recommendations for addressing the redistribution of stolen merchandise into the supply chain, including through online marketplaces, to protect Texas businesses and consumers. Make recommendations relating to transparency for online marketplaces and information that should be provided by sellers.
- Review operational changes and strategies employed by the Texas Workforce Commission to improve outcomes related to Unemployment Benefit Services, including application and payment processes, customer services, and fraud deterrence.
- Evaluate the overall state of data privacy and online consumer protections in Texas and study the related laws and legislative efforts of other states. Make recommendations to ensure consumer data protections and online privacy.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.