House Committee on Financial Institutions - 66th R.S. (1979)
- Report on the status of the mortgage loan business in view of the change in usury limits enacted by the 66th Regular Session of the Legislature.
- Compare the interest rate structures permitted by law for all lending institutions in Texas and compare these structures with those in selected states with similar regional and economic status to determine the impact of Texas usury ceilings and recommend revisions if needed.
- Review the differences in state-chartered banks, national banks and the bank holding companies as they relate to competition in the money market.
- Study the status of credit unions in Texas, particularly with respect to their expansion, financial stability and service to consumers.
- Review the possible effects of the Depository Institutions Deregulation and Monetary Control Act of 1980 on state chartered and federally chartered financial institutions in Texas.
- Review the authority of the state and its political subdivisions regarding the receipt, deposit, investment and disposition of public funds in state and federally chartered financial institutions.
Oversight functions shall be conducted for all appropriations-related actions of those agencies assigned to this committee for appropriative purposes during the 66th Regular Session of the Legislature. The agencies include:
Department of Banking
Department of Savings and Loans
Office of the Consumer Credit Commissioner
Finance Commission of Texas
Credit Union Department
State Depository Board
Member information is from Interim Committees 62d-66th Legislatures, L1800.1 In8 1971-79.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.