House Committee on Higher Education - 72nd R.S. (1991)
- Monitor and oversee legislation enacted during the 72nd Regular and Special Called Sessions that was considered by the Higher Education Committee; Performance Audit Review Recommendations; and any agency-initiated changes.
Carry out budget and oversight responsibilities for all agencies, boards, and commissions listed in Rule 3, Section 15.
A. Monitor and oversee documenation of salary increases.
B. Verify the number and status of outcomes and outputs as identified in the Appropriations Bill (HB 1, 72nd Legislature, 1st Called Session).
C. Review agencies' existing performance standards and determine whether new standards are needed.
- Study the levels of tuition and fees at institutions of higher education across the state and the causes and effects of their increase in recent years. Monitor and coordinate with the Joint Committee on Higher Education as it pertains to this subject.
- Study the increasing need for student financial aid in the forms of grants and loans.
- Identify the role, mission, and benefits of Texas State Technical College (TSTC) including its role of meeting the educational needs of the area it serves, future funding, and conflicts with junior colleges.
- Monitor and coordinate with the Joint Committee on Higher Education as it relates to formula funding and deferred maintenance at institutions of higher education.
- Study the enrollment at professional schools to determine supply, as it relates to the demand for all appropriate professions.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.