House Committee on Elections and Privileges - 12th 1st C.S. (1870)
- Investigate the contested election for House district 20 between E.S.Bell, J.E. Hawkins, A. Hanson, and J. Abbott.*
- Investigate the contested election for House district 30 between Ferdinand Schlickum and Nelson Plato.*
- Investigate the contested election for House district 30 between W.W. Mills, I.H. Evans, and George Spencer.*
- Investigate the contest election for House district 30 between W.E. Horne, W. Sheriff, and C.L. Abbott.*
- Investigate the contested election for House district 2 between W.H. Bonner and E.L. Smith.*
- Investigate the legal right of Hons. A.D. Elam and J.C. English to hold seats upon this floor, as Representatives of the Third Senatorial District.
- During the regular session, investigate the contested election between Wm. Phillips and Moses F. Roberts in the Second Senatorial District.*
- Investigate whether Speaker William H. Sinclair is eligible to be a representative from the Twelfth Senatorial District since it was reported that he accepted the office of County Treasurer of Galvestion County.*
* This represents an abstract of the report contents. Charge text is incomplete or unavailable.
Appointed by Speaker Ira H. Evans on 2/10/1870 to examine into the matter of contested seats. Speaker appointed Messrs. Franks, Morrison, Mullins, Gardiner, Gaston, Austin, and Locke who served during the provisional session.
The orginal motion called for a committee of three. Members of this committee were Rep. Butler, Rep. Sinclair, and Rep. McLean. H.J. of Tex., 12th Leg., R.S., 84 (1871). The matter could not be resolved so it was referred to the House Committee on Privileges and Elections. Their majority report concerning seating Elam and English as representatives from the Third Senatorial District was signed by Chair F.G. Franks, Locke, Morrison, and Mullens. H.J. of Tex., 12th Leg., R.S., 671 (1871). The minority report was Booty, Cole, and Kyle. H.J. of Tex., 12th Leg., R.S., 675 (1871)
Report on Mr. Phillips petition was sent to the House Elections and Privilieges Committee on 1/19/1871. The committee issued a majority report signed by Chair F.G. Franks, John M. Morrison, W.J. Locke, J. Schutze, and S. Mullins. The minority report on this issue was signed by S.S. Weaver, F. Kyle, and J. R. Cole. H.J. of Tex., 12th Leg., R.S., 100 (1871)
Resolution on the seating of Speaker Sinclair in the adjourned session was sent to the House Privileges and Elections Committee. The majority report was signed by C.D. Harn, chair, A.D. Tinsley, Julius Schutze, Silas Cotton, J.D. George, and John M. Morrison. The minority report was signed by John W. Robertson, Ferg Kyle, and H.C. Ellis.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.