(a) An interim committee is created to consider and evaluate the system the state uses to approve and regulate courses of study offered by proprietary schools. The committee shall report its findings to the 72nd Legislature, including any drafts of any proposed legislation necessary to implement its recommendations.
(b)The committee shall consider the policies and procedures of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, the Central Education Agency, and other agencies regarding proprietary school programs, including:
(1) on-site evaluation of facilities;
(2) qualifications and continuity of teaching staff;
(3) student admission and recruitment procedures;
(4) placement of proprietary school graduates;
(5) counseling and support services for students;
(6) student loan default rates;
(7) student dropout rates;
(8) the reasonableness of requiring proprietary schools to distribute cost comparison information prepared by the agency under Subsection (b) of Section 32.21 of this code to prospective students;
(9) the consistency of course hour lengths and curriculum content between similar programs being offered in proprietary schools, junior colleges, and other public institutions; and
(10) the use of degrees by proprietary schools.
Created and charged by SB 417.
House member Bill Arnold appointed 11/01/1989. Public members Paul Ellis and Lucien Rouze appointed 10/26/1989. Public member Lorin Boswell,Jr., appointed 11/06/1989.(Letters from Gibson D. (Gib) Lewis, Speaker of the Texas House of Represenatives, October 26, 1989, November 1, 1989 and November 6, 1989. See House Speaker Lewis Appointments, L1801.1 P926a 1985-92 3.)
Wilhelmina Delco was appointed to the committee in her capacity as chair of the House Higher Education Committee, pursuant to SB 417, and was named co-chair 11/7/1989. Ernestine Glossbrenner was appointed to the committee in her capacity as chair of the House Public Education Committee, pursuant to SB 417. (Letters from Gibson D. (Gib) Lewis, Speaker of the Texas House of Represenatives, November 1, 1989 and November 7, 1989. See House Speaker Lewis Appointments, L1801.1 P926a 1985-92 3.)
The Texas Appointment System indicates that Harold Dutton was appointed by the Speaker on 02/23/1990.
Senate member Bill Haley and public members Thomas Colvin, Lee Murdy and Bruce Aumack appointed 10/10/1989. Bill Haley named co-chair 11/07/1989. Carl Parker was appointed to the committee in his capacity as chairman of the Senate Education Committee, pursuant to SB 417. (Letters from William P. Hobby, Lieutenant Governor of Texas, October 10, 1989, November 11, 1989 and November 13, 1989. See Lieutenant Governor Hobby Appointments 70th-71st, L1803.1 P926la 1987-90 3.)