House Committee on Border and International Affairs - 78th R.S. (2003)
- Identify specific areas of government effort that are lacking in coordination and develop strategies to improve communications between agencies of state government, the state and the federal government and between the Texas and Mexico governments.
- Assess the feasibility of collaborative scientific and technological research projects between Texas and Mexico universities.
- Identify areas of health care need that specifically affect the border region or that disproportionately affect the border region, and develop strategies to improve conditions and reduce demand on the health care system.
- Monitor the dispute on Mexico's water debt. Explore ways to continue planning cooperation of sister cities for water and waste water.
- Assess job training and retraining efforts in border areas and identify needs and solutions specific to this region of the state.
- Study the issues relating to lending practices on the border, including the prevalence of subprime and predatory lending along the border.
- Review and study all existing legislation affecting the development of transportation infrastructure in areas adjacent to the Texas-Mexico border. Study international trade issues as they relate to transportation, the adequacy of existing infrastructure to facilitate international traffic related to trade, the potential for development of inter-modal hubs and other mixed use facilities which promote more efficient trade and economic development, and the opportunities for contracting with Mexico or any of the Mexican states for joint development of transportation infrastructure. (Joint interim charge with House Transportation Committee.)
- Monitor agencies and programs under the committee's jurisdiction.
Irma Rangel died 3/18/2003. Juan Escobar appointed 5/16/2003.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.