Medical Professional Liability - 64th R.S. (1975)
- Dean W. Keeton, Chair
- Robert G. Bezucha
- William R. Cotner
- Dr. Milton V. Davis
- David Hitt
- Harry Hubbard, Jr.
- Mark Martin
- W.A. Mizell
- Robert L. Murphy
- George E. Pletcher
- James K. Presnal
- Charles G. Purnell
- Edward A. Stowell
- H. Hayes Tucker
- Dr. E. Don Webb
The commission shall make specific recommendations, including proposed legislation to the Governor, Lieutenant Governor, Speaker, Legislative Council and members of the Legislature on or before December 1, 1976. The report shall offer specific recommendations regarding the professional liability problem. In addition, the report shall include, but not be limited to, discussions of the following topics:
(1) the scope and extent of the medical professional liability problem;
(2) reasons for the increase in such claims;
(3) effects of the rise in such claims on physicians and health care providers, including the increased use of defensive medicine and increased premium costs;
(4) effect of claims increase on patients, including increased costs;
(5) alternative approaches and proposed solutions to this problem;
(6) review of comparable law on compensation commissions, arbitration panels, screening panels and recommendations regarding use;
(7) review of existing and proposed laws governing compensation and the amount of compensation to patients, including the time within which claims may be brought and the elements of loss for which compensation may be recovered;
(8) the existing tort law in the area of concern and recommendations for change, if any;
(9) any other matters or procedures which the Commission considers relevant to its report.
Appointed by Speaker and Lieutenant Governor, pursuant to SB 491.
Bob Gammage (Member) resigned 1-23-1976.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.