Public School Finance, Select - 78th R.S. (2003)
The committee shall conduct a study of issues affecting the duty of the legislature to establish and make suitable provision for the support and maintenance of an efficient system of public free schools.
The study shall include:
(1) a review of the state's revenue system as it related to the legislature's ability to provide for a constitutional school finance system;
(2) an assessment of funding options that will sustain Texas schools for the long term and that will substantially increase the state's share of public school funding;
(3) a determination of appropriate funding levels to enable high academic performance;
(4) an analysis of legitimate student and school district cost differences;
(5) a review of the appropriate role of the state in the provision of school facilities;
(6) an examination of strategies and practices that contribute to high academic performance in schools; and
(7) a review of possible incentives for improved student performance and cost-effective operation.
Appointed by joint proclamation issued August 6, 2003, as authorized by HCR 280, 78th Legislature, Regular Session, 2003
Public members Donald McAdams, Jack Ladd and Caroline Hoxby appointed by the Governor August 7, 2003.
Teel Bivins (Member) resigned effective 1/12/2004.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.