House Committee on Regulated Industries - 80th R.S. (2007)
- Examine the impact of broadband Internet access on economic development, focusing on potential updates that would create incentives to help spur investment by network providers across a variety of platforms. Recommend changes to Texas law that would emphasize economic development through policy formation.
- Study and assess the ability of entities regulated by the Public Utility Commission of Texas to meet the communication needs of the Texas military forces during declared emergencies, including an assessment of current capabilities and technological compatibility among service providers throughout the state.
- Research the effects of both wholesale and retail competition in the Texas electric market.
- Study and review information on the Internet and other communications services, and how Texas can best prepare for potential changes to Internet and communications services, and infrastructure demands. Recommend policy changes to encourage greater infrastructure investment while ensuring the continued growth and development of the Internet. Study the current state and local communications tax structure, including an analysis of the tax burdens imposed on consumers and providers of communications services.
- Study and examine whether Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) should be adhered to under Chapter 66 of the Public Utility Regulatory Act (PURA), and review procedures for revenue audits.
- Monitor agencies and programs under the committee's jurisdiction, including identifying possible ways to merge or streamline agency functions to produce long-term financial benefit to the state and better efficiency of the agencies.
Charges issued by the Speaker November 30, 2007.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.