John L. Ratliff
Full Name: John L. Ratliff
Date of birth: June 4, 1866
Date of death: February 2, 1955
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Aug 1, 1910 - Jan 14, 1913
Cooper / Delta
Delta, Franklin, Hopkins, Red River, Titus
32nd Legislature - Roll Call of holdover Senators, 1/10/1911, p. 1.
"Forecast of 32d Legislature: List of Democratic Nominees for Senate and House of Representatives: Elected for the Vacancies: Fifteen New Members of the Thirty-first are Chosen, Three of Them Senators," 8/6/1910, p. 11.
Galveston Daily News
John L. Ratliff, sworn 8/1/1910, succeeded H. Bascom Thomas, expelled 3/13/1909, reelected 4/3/1909, seated 4/10/1909, and resigned 5/15/1910.
Members of the Texas Congress 1836-1845; Members of the Texas Legislature 1846-2004
Assumed Democrat based on listing as Democrat in 32nd Legislature.
Texas Legislative Manual
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Obituary, "John L. Ratliff Dies in South Carolina," 2/2/1955, p. 10. "Ratliff, called 'Judge' by friends because he at one time served as county judge at Cooper, where he lived prior to moving in 1925 to Lubbock . . . "
Lubbock Evening Journal.
- Obituary, John L. Ratliff, 2/2/1955, p. 9. Born in Lamar County at Glory, elected Delta County judge and later practiced law in Lubbock 15 or 20 years.
- John L. Ratliff (1866-1955), interment in Greenlawn Memorial Gardens, Spartanburg, South Carolina.
- Census of 1900 - John L. Ratliff, Cooper, Delta County, age 34, born June 1866 in Texas, merchant, wife Lydia, daughters Margaret Ratliff and Gladis Richards.
Census of 1910 - John L. Ratliff, Cooper, Delta County, age 43, born circa 1867 in Texas, lawyer, wife Lydia, daughters Gladys Richards and Margaret Ratliff.
Census of 1920 - John L. Ratliff, Cooper, Delta County, age 51, born circa 1869 in Texas, real estate/farms, widowed, daughter Margaret.
Census of 1930 - John L. Ratliff, Lubbock, Lubbock County, age 62, born circa 1880 in Texas, lawyer, wife Mollie I., daughter Charlotte B. Hopkins.
Census of 1940 - J.L. Ratliff, Lubbock, Lubbock County, age 62, born circa 1878 in Texas, lawyer, wife Mollie I.
John L. Ratliff, birth date 6/4/1866 in Texas, death date 2/2/1955 in Spartanburg, South Carolina, retired attorney, informant Mrs. Mollie Ratliff.
South Carolina Deaths, 1915-1965
- "Ratliff Family Will Hold Second Annual Reunion," 6/24/1938, p. 9. "John L. Ratliff of Lubbock is former Delta county judge and was state senator for this district."
- Delta County, by John L. Ratliff, Cooper, p. 249. Texas Almanac and State Industrial Guide for 1904, May 1904, crediting Texas State Historical Association.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- 32nd Legislature (1911) - J.L. Ratliff, postoffice Cooper, Delta County, nativity Texas, lawyer, Democrat, age 44 (born circa 1867), 44 years in Texas, member of former legislatures: 3rd and 4th Called Sessions, 31st Senate.
Texas Legislative Manual.
J.L. Ratliff, 32nd Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.