Benjamin Blufford Sturgeon
Full Name: Benjamin Blufford Sturgeon
Date of birth: September 22, 1866
Date of death: January 21, 1931
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 12, 1909 - Jan 14, 1913
Paris / Lamar
32nd Legislature - Roll Call of holdover Senators, 1/10/1911, p. 1.
Democrat; roster of members of the 31st Legislature with biographical and party information. "Year Book 1909," Number 13, May-June 1910, pp. 408-415.
Bulletin (Texas Department of Agriculture)
31st Legislature - Roll Call of Senators-elect, oath of office administered, 1/12/1909, pp. 1-2.
Biographical Notes and Resources top
Resolutions and Journal entries
- Portrait and biographical sketch, B.B. Sturgeon, Volume III, pp. 1084-1085. Born September 1860 in Warren County, Kentucky; married Miss Sudie E. Jaggers 12/23/1888 in Independence, Kansas.
A History of Texas and Texans, 1914.
- Benjamin Blufford Sturgeon, died 1/21/1931 in Lamar County, Paris, Texas, married Sudie E. Jaggers, served as Lamar County Attorney and District Attorney, then in the legislature, where "he also was the author of the Texas antihorse race gambling bill." "Family Tree - Sturgeon," 12/5/1999, p. 2D.
- Obituary, "B.B. Sturgeon, Well Known Attorney, Dead," The Daily News-Telegram (Sulphur Springs, Texas), 1/22/1931, p. 6, crediting Hopkins County Genealogical Society.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- Census of 1900 - Ben Sturgeon, Precinct 1, Lamar County, age 40, born September 1859 in Kentucky, lawyer, wife Sadie, sons Grady and John (?).
Census of 1910 - Buford B. Sturgeon, Paris Ward 4, Lamar County, age 49, born circa 1861 in Kentucky, lawyer, wife Sadie E., sons Gradie, John F., and Aron A.
Census of 1920 - Benjamine B. Sturgeon, Paris, Lamar County, age 58, born circa 1862 in Kentucky, lawyer, wife Sada E., sons John F. and Aron.
Census of 1930 - Benjamin B. Sturgeon, Paris, Lamar County, age 67, born circa 1863 in Kentucky, lawyer, wife Sadia E., son Aaron A.
- B.B. Sturgeon, birth date 9/22/1866 in Kentucky, death date 1/21/1931 in Paris, Lamar County, Texas, attorney.
FamilySearch Texas Deaths, 1890-1976.
- B.B. Sturgeon (1863-1931), burial in Evergreen Cemetery, Paris, Lamar County, with spouse Sudie L. Sturgeon.
Find a Grave.
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.