John Preston Turner
Full Name: John Preston Turner
Date of birth: August 1, 1867
Date of death: October 29, 1937
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 12, 1909 - Jan 10, 1911
Decatur / Wise
Democrat; roster of members of the 31st Legislature with biographical and party information. "Year Book 1909," Number 13, May-June 1910, pp. 408-415.
Bulletin (Texas Department of Agriculture)
Slidell, Wise County, "Next Legislature Now Complete," 11/7/1908, p. 7.
Galveston Daily News
Decatur, Wise County.
Members of the Texas Congress 1836-1845; Members of the Texas Legislature 1846-2004
Texas Almanac and State Industrial Guide
Texas Legislative Manual
Slidell, Wise County.
Texas State Journal of Medicine
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Portraits and biographical sketches, "Our Friends in the Legislature," Volume V, No. 1, May 1909, pp. 14-17. "In 1892 he engaged in the retail drug business at Slidell, which he has continued up to the present."
Texas State Journal of Medicine, 1905.
- Obituary, Dr. John Preston Turner, "Dr. J.P. Turner Dies in Calif.: Former Slidell Citizen Is Buried in Dallas Last Tuesday," from Dallas Times Herald, reprinted with additional information from Wise County Messenger, 12/2/1937, p. 1. Died in Santa Mingo, California. "A native of Georgia, Dr. Turner moved to Texas as a young man and was in the drug business in Slidell, Texas for a number of years . . . it was while living there [in Slidell] that he ran against and defeated A.D. Rogers for the state legislature, in a memorable campaign."
Wise County Messenger.
- John Preston Turner, birth date 8/1/1867 in Georgia, death date 10/29/1937 in Sacramento County, California, medical doctor, wife Ida Turner. California Death Certificates, Turner-Boyles-Russell-Hatfield Family Tree.
- Census of 1900 - J. Preston Turner, Wise County, age 30, born August 1870 in Georgia, merchant, wife Ida A., daughter Eunice, son Preston B.
Census of 1910 - John P. Turnar, Wise County, age 42, born circa 1868 in Georgia, druggist/drug store, wife Ida C., daughter Eunice, son Battle, uncle William.
Census of 1920 - John P. Turner, Slidell, Wise County, age 52, born circa 1868 in Georgia, druggist/general drugs, wife Ida.
Census of 1930 - John P. Turner, Dallas, Dallas County, age 61, born circa 1869 in Georgia, proprietor/drugs, wife Ida.
John P. Turner, death date 10/29/1937 in Sacramento County, California, age 70.
California Death Index, 1905-1939
- John P. Turner (1866-1937), burial in Oakland Cemetery, Dallas, Dallas County, with spouse Ida Turner. Includes obituary from Wise County Messenger, 12/2/1937, p. 1.
Find a Grave.
- 31st Legislature (1909) - J.P. Turner, postoffice Slidell, nativity Georgia, age 41 (born circa 1868), pharmacist, 28 years in Texas, Democrat.
Texas Legislative Manual.
J.P. Turner, 31st Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.