Cecil Howard Smith
Full Name: Cecil Howard Smith, Sr.
Date of birth: January 1, 1860
Date of death: October 12, 1926
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 10, 1899 - Jan 8, 1901
Sherman / Grayson
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Obituaries and photo, "Will Hold Funeral of Sherman Lawyer," 10/14/1926, p. 14; "Cecil H. Smith Buried in Sherman Cemetery," 10/17/1926, p. 5.
Dallas Morning News.
- Cecil Howard Smith, birth date 1/1/1860 in Sparta, Hancock County, Georgia, death date 10/12/1926; graduated Emory College 1883, marriage to Mary Jane Wade 2/25/1886, residence in Sherman, Texas, pp. 344-345.
A Family History: Wright-Lewis-Moore and Connected Families: Early Settlers: Greene County, Georgia, 1968.
- Obituary and photo, Cecil H. Smith, Sr., "News of Death Not Delivered to Widow," 10/13/1926, p. 19.
Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Obituary, "Death Claims Cecil H. Smith," The Whitewright Sun, 10/14/1926, p. 1, crediting Whitewright Public Library.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- Portrait and biographical sketch, Cecil H. Smith, p. 103. Marriage to Miss Mary Wade 1886, children Edith, Cecil, Jr., Lawrence, and Judith. Smith "was first elected Prosecuting Attorney for the County of Grayson (1888), serving a term of four years. Later on, in 1899, he was elected a member of the Legislature, serving only one term . . . "
Texans and Their State: A Newspaper Reference Work, 1918.
- Cecil Howard Smith, Sr., birth date 1/1/1860 in Sparta, Hancock County, Georgia; death date 10/12/1926 in Sherman, Grayson County, Texas; marriage to Mary Jane Wade 2/25/1886 in Sherman. Son Cecil Howard Smith, Jr., birth date 7/1/1888 in Whitsboro [Whitesboro], Texas, bank teller, married with one child, registered for World War I draft in Stephens County, Oklahoma, 6/5/1917, recipient of British War Medal and Victory Medal, World War I, Machine Gun Corps (Cavalry); registered for World War II draft in Bakersfield, California, 4/25/1942; death date 4/22/1965 in Orange County, California, mother's maiden name Wade. Mann Family Tree; Carter Family Line Family Tree; U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918; U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942; UK, WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920; California, U.S., Death Index, 1940-1997.
- Census of 1900 - C.H. Smith, Sherman, Grayson County, age 40, born January 1860 in Georgia, lawyer, spouse Mary Wade, daughter Edith, sons Cecil H.J. (born July 1888), Lawrence, and Wn. Jarrel.
Census of 1910 - Cecil Smith Sr., Sherman, Grayson County, age 49, born circa 1861 in Georgia, attorney, spouse Mary, sons Cecil Jr., Lawrence, and Jarrel.
Census of 1920 - Cecil Smith, Sherman, Grayson County, age 60, born circa 1860 in Georgia, lawyer, spouse Mary Wade, daughter Edith.
- Cecil H. Smith, birth date 1/1/1860 in Georgia, death date 10/12/1926 in Sherman, Grayson County, attorney.
FamilySearch Texas Deaths, 1890-1976.
- Cecil H. Smith, birth date 1/1/1860, death date 10/12/1926, photo, reprints of obituaries in Dallas Morning News, burial in Saint Marys Cemetery, Sherman, Grayson County.
Find a Grave.
- Obituary, Mrs. Cecil H. Smith, "Mrs. C.H. Smith Dies at Sherman," 4/30/1958, p. 26. Born in Montague County, came to Whitesboro in 1870 with her parents, and then to Sherman after marriage in 1886. Survived by three sons including Cecil H. Smith of Anaheim, California.
Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.