Samuel Bender McBride
Full Name: Samuel Bender McBride
Date of birth: July 1, 1840
Date of death: August 23, 1917
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 8, 1895 - Jan 12, 1897
San Marcos / Hays
Blanco, Comal, Gillespie, Hays
Jan 9, 1883 - Apr 18, 1883
San Marcos / Hays
Caldwell, Guadalupe, Hays
Sterling Fisher, in special election 12/4/1883, sworn 1/8/1884, succeeded Samuel B. McBride, removed from district after Regular Session.
Members of the Texas Congress 1836-1845; Members of the Texas Legislature 1846-2004
Pocket Directory of the Eighteenth Legislature of Texas
Biographical Notes and Resources top
Resolutions and Journal entries
- Obituary, Captain S.B. McBride, "Mrs. G.H. Clifford's Father Buried Here," 8/24/1917, p. 2.
Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- Obituary, Captain S.B. McBride, "Two Good Men 'Gone to Their Reward'," The Arlington Journal, 8/31/1917, p. 2, crediting Arlington Public Library. "I knew Captain McBride first more than thirty years ago in San Marcos, then in the legislature where he served with distinction. He came to Arlington about ten years ago . . . "
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
- Biographical sketch, S.B. McBride, p. 270. Born 1841 in Tennessee.
Texas Legislative Manual, 1882-83, 1883.
Military Service Notes
- Confederate States Army, 1st Sergeant, Company K, 11th Regiment, Missouri Infantry. Samuel Bender McBride, Arlington, Tarrant County, age 73, born in Tennessee, lawyer, death date 8/23/1917 in Dallas. Includes letter from S.B. McBride, 8/11/1913, and Confederate States Army parole document for S.B. McBride, by order of Major General Gordon Granger, Galveston, Texas, 7/31/1865. Pension File No. 21919, Alabama, Texas and Virginia, U.S., Confederate Pensions, 1884-1958; U.S., Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles, 1861-1865; U.S., Civil War Soldiers, 1861-1865.
- "Veterans Eulogize Life of Greenwall: Resolution Is Passed on Death of Beloved Comrade: Members of Robert E. Lee Camp Also Adopt Resolution on Death of Veteran S.B. McBride," 9/3/1917, p. 3. Report on Fort Worth meeting of the Robert E. Lee Camp, Confederate Veterans, to adopt resolution on the death of McBride, "enlisted in the Eleventh Missouri Cavalry and served throughout the Civil War, taking part in many of the larger battles. He was a member of the Texas Legislature."
Dallas Morning News.
- Resolutions on the death of S.B. McBride, United Confederate (Civil War) Veterans Records, 1863-1967 and undated. Resolution text; death date 8/7/1917 in Dallas at age 77. "He came to Texas immediately after this settling in San Marcos in Hays county where he engaged in the practice of law and represented his county several terms in the Texas legislature . . . " Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library.
Texas Tech University Libraries.
- S.B. McBride, age 77, born about 1840 in Tennessee; death date 8/23/1917 in Dallas, Dallas County, Texas; lawyer.
FamilySearch Texas Deaths, 1890-1976.
- Samuel B. McBride, birth date 7/1/1840, death date 8/23/1917, burial in Oakwood Cemetery, Fort Worth, Tarrant County, with spouse Mary Bell McBride.
Find a Grave.
- Samuel B. McBride.
Members of the Texas Congress 1836-1845; Members of the Texas Legislature 1846-2004, 2005.
S.B. McBride, 24th Legislature, State Preservation Board
S.W. McBride, 18th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.