Full Name: Barnett Gibbs
Date of birth: May 19, 1851
Date of death: October 4, 1904
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 9, 1883 - Jan 13, 1885
Dallas / Dallas
Dallas, Kaufman, Rockwall
Pocket Directory of the Eighteenth Legislature of Texas
18th Legislature, Regular Session - All Senators except District 3 and 21 are listed in Roll Call as taking the oath of office, 1/9/1883, p. 2; resolution by Sen. Gooch that the Senators shall now be divided by lot into two classes, 1/10/1883, pp. 5-6; drew term of 2 years.
. January 10, 1883
January 9, 1883
Biographical Notes and Resources top
Resolutions and Journal entries
- 32nd Legislature, Resolution appointing a special committee to hang a portrait of the former Lieutenant Governor in the Senate chamber.
- GIBBS, BARNETT (1851-1904). Birth date 5/19/1851, death date 10/4/1904.
Handbook of Texas Online.
- Biographical sketch, Lieutenant Governor Barnett Gibbs, pp. 74-75. Born 5/19/1841 in Yazoo City, Mississippi.
Personnel of the Texas State Government for 1885, 19th Legislature, 1885.
- Portrait and biographical sketch, Barnett Gibbs, pp. 57-59. "Colonel Gibbs is the youngest Lieutenant-Governor Texas ever had, the youngest acting Governor, the youngest senator, and represented the largest senatorial district in the State."
Personnel of the Texas State Government with Sketches of Representative Men of Texas, 22nd Legislature, 1892.
- 15th Lieutenant Governor: Barnett Gibbs. Photo and biographical sketch. Birth date 5/19/1851, death date 10/5/1904.
Presiding Officers of the Texas Legislature, 1846-2016, 2016.
- Biographical sketch, pp. 241-242.
Texas Legislative Manual, 1882-83, 1883.
- Barnett Gibbs, death date 10/4/1904, burial in Oakland Cemetery, Dallas.
Find a Grave.
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.