John W. Rountree
Full Name: John W. Rountree
Date of birth: June 15, 1854
Date of death: March 29, 1911
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 13, 1885 - Jan 11, 1887
Cooper / Delta
Delta, Fannin, Lamar
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- Obituary, J.W. Rountree, "Death of Judge Rountree," Daily Arkansas Gazette (Little Rock, Arkansas), 4/1/1911, p. 2. "Judge Rountree, during his life, was a prominent man in Paris and Lamar county . . . four years as county judge and four years as mayor of the city of Paris." Survived by son Dr. Dudley Rountree of Little Rock.
- "John W. Rountree came to Paris from Delta County fifty-odd years ago. In Cooper he had been a lawyer and had represented Delta County in the Texas Legislature. Moving to Paris he resumed the practice of law, and presently was elected justice of the peace in Precinct 1, then advanced to County Judge and later was elected mayor of Paris in the later 'nineties." "Backward Glances: Some Men I Have Known: Random Recollections of Paris Citizens During the Years Gone By," by A.W. Neville, 5/15/1940, p. 6.
- Biographical sketch, John W. Roundtree, pp. 45-46. Born 1854 in Missouri. "He came to Texas and settled in Collin county, lived in Collin four years, Lamar county ten years, and has resided in Delta county, his present home, for the past seven years. In 1878 he was elected State Attorney, and in 1884 was chosen to represent the twenty-third district" in the 19th Legislature.
Personnel of the Texas State Government for 1885, 19th Legislature, 1885.
- John W. Roundtree, p. 164.
Burke's Texas Almanac and Immigrants' Handbook for 1885, 1885.
- Census of 1880 - John W. Rountree, Delta County, age 25, born circa 1855 in Missouri, county attorney, wife Lucy, son Dudley.
Census of 1900 - Jno W. Rountree, Paris, Lamar County, age 46, born June 1854 in Missouri, lawyer, married, boarder with Aurra and Dudley Rountree.
Census of 1910 - John Rountree, Paris, Lamar County, age 55, born circa 1855 in Missouri, lawyer, married, boarder with Aurora, John B., Isabelle, Eugenia Rountree.
- John W. Rountree, birth date 6/15/1854, death date 3/29/1911, burial in Evergreen Cemetery, Paris, Lamar County. Includes listing of costs associated with the funeral.
Find a Grave.
- John W. Rountree.
Members of the Texas Congress 1836-1845; Members of the Texas Legislature 1846-2004, 2005.
- Death notice, Judge John Rountree of Paris, Cooper Review, 3/31/1911, p. 5, crediting Delta County Public Library. Death date Wednesday, 3/29/1911 in Little Rock, Arkansas.
Portal to Texas History (University of North Texas Libraries).
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.