House Committee on Business and Industry - 75th R.S. (1997)
- Study the development of commerce on the internet to determine whether existing consumer protection laws are adequate to deal with the present and future issues that may arise.
- Review consumer protection issues as they pertain to telemarketing. Determine whether the registration of telemarketers may be necessary to provide adequate protection of the public.
- Study the issues surrounding "truth-in-hiring" legislation. Investigate the possibility of protecting both employees and employers when prospective employers request job references.
- Review the Texas Free Enterprise and Antitrust Act of 1983. Assess its adequacy in protecting the public interest when mergers and acquisitions occur.
- Review workers' compensation insurance carriers' payments and denials of medical benefits and supplemental income benefits. Determine whether carries' actions are reasonable and consistent with the overall design of the law.
- Conduct active oversight of agencies under the committee's jurisdiction.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.