House Committee on Insurance - 67th R.S. (1981)
- Monitor the costs and effectiveness of the compulsory auto liability law passed during the regular session as HB 197, 67th R.S..
- Study the need for and feasibility of the establishment of fire protection standards on a statewide basis, including the development of a statewide fire code.
- Study the need for and the feasibility of additional methods by which citizens of this state may meet the requirement of financial responsibility, including self-insurance, bonding, dedicated savings accounts, and other alternatives.
- Study the need for raising the limits on financial responsibility from the current 5, 10 and 20 basis to new increased limits.
- Study the uses of temporary licenses for insurance agents to determine whether there is a continued need for the use of such licenses.
- Study the handling of claims by insurance companies to determine whether the public is being treated fairly in the adjustment and payment of claims, including recommendations for legislation, if necessary.
- Study the effects of optional coverage for part-time faculty members of junior and community colleges under the uniform group insurance program for college and university employees.
- Study the effectiveness of the assigned risk plan for motor vehicle insurance to determine if the plan is working as effectively as possible, and specifically whether a "pool" arrangement would better provide for the needs of the public in Texas, and whether the plan should be expanded to allow for more than minimum limits of coverage, and expanded to additional types of risks.
Oversight functions shall be conducted for all appropriations-related actions of those agencies assigned to this committee for appropriative purposes during the 67th Regular Session of the Legislature. In addition, a study should be made of the impact of any federal cuts, and the differences in the operational aspect of the agencies under block vs. categorical grants. Close scrutiny should be given to each agency to ascertain if legislative intent is being carried out in the rules promulgated by the agency and if the rules are feasible and practical in their application. These agencies include:
State Board of Insurance
House Journal committee appointments, 67th Legislature show "District 83" appointed. This seat was later filled by Ashley Smith (sworn 1/27/1981).
Hector Uribe (Chair - Budget & Oversight) elected to the Senate in special runoff election 2/24/1981. Gene Green appointed Chair - Budget & Oversight on 2/26/1981.
Steven Wolens (Member) appointed March 3, 1981.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.