House Committee on Public Education - 67th R.S. (1981)
- Examine the mutual responsibility of provisions of enforcement of employment contracts in public schools.
- Investigate and determine the need for current federal regulations relating to the testing of migrant students in Texas. Specifically address the question of whether federal dollars are being used to promote the principal goal and objective of teaching rather than testing.
Oversight functions shall be conducted for all appropriations-related actions of those agencies assigned to this committee during the 67th Regular Session of the Legislature. In addition, a study should be made of the impact of any federal cuts, and the differences in the operational aspect of the agencies under block vs. categorical grants. Close scrutiny should be given to each agency to ascertain if legislative intent is being carried out in the rules promulgated by the agency and if the rules are feasible and practical in their application. These agencies include:
State Board of Education
Central Education Agency
School for the Blind
School for the Deaf
Advisory Council for Technical-Vocational Education
- Study the effect of unified reporting formats and governance structure in regards to Regional Education Service Centers.
- Study the use of state funds for retirement contributions for the salary of public employees who are paid from other than with state funds.
- Investigate the safety rules and regulations for school bus drivers and determine what changes are necessary in current law.
- Study the feasibility of developing group health insurance plans to benefit retirees as well as public school employees.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.