House Committee on Ways and Means - 83rd R.S. (2013)
- Monitor the implementation of recent amendments to the property tax. Examine whether the frequency of reappraisals strikes the proper balance between stability and predictability in values for taxpayers and taxation at market value.
- Monitor the implementation of recent amendments to the franchise tax.
- Study methods used to evaluate the impact of taxes on individuals and businesses.
- Review the current process for resolving contested cases involving state taxes and fees. Examine the need for the creation of an alternative, independent review process to hear and decide such cases.
- Review the various state event trust fund accounts to ensure that the accounts are operated in a manner that is transparent and accountable.
- Evaluate the actions of the comptroller's office to increase transparency, accountability, and efficiency. Examine ways to increase efficiency in the administration of taxes through the use of technology. Identify and make recommendations to implement these goals.
- Review state regulatory and tax policy to ensure that investment in technology infrastructure, goods, and services is unfettered and that Texas is able to capitalize on innovation to fuel additional job growth, business expansion, and investment. (Joint charge with the House Committee on Technology)
Conduct legislative oversight and monitoring of the agencies and programs under the committee’s jurisdiction and the implementation of relevant legislation passed by the 83rd Legislature. In conducting this oversight, the committee should:
a. consider any reforms to state agencies to make them more responsive to Texas taxpayers and citizens;
b. identify issues regarding the agency or its governance that may be appropriate to investigate, improve, remedy, or eliminate;
c. determine whether an agency is operating in a transparent and efficient manner; and
d. identify opportunities to streamline programs and services while maintaining the mission of the agency and its programs.
Rep. Israel appointed 2/12/2014 (Letter, Speaker Joe Straus).
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.