LRL Home - Committees - Committee overview
Committee on Child Protection, Select - 83rd R.S. (2013)
Dawnna Dukes, Chair
R.D. 'Bobby' Guerra
This committee shall study the incidence of abuse and neglect fatalities in Texas and make recommendations to protect children. In developing its recommendations, the committee shall:
- Monitor the ongoing efforts of the Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS), the work of the Protect Our Kids Commission and the National Commission to Eliminate Child Abuse and Neglect Fatalities, and any relevant Sunset Commission recommendations;
- Assess the efficacy of ongoing prevention efforts that target resources to families at risk;
- Examine regulatory policy and contract oversight within the child welfare system;
- Consider ways to encourage consistent, transparent, and timely review of abuse and neglect fatalities;
- Monitor ongoing efforts to stabilize the CPS workforce, placing specific emphasis on improving work environment, enhancing the quality of supervision, and addressing the unique challenges facing different regions of the state;
- Suggest improvements to the screening, assessment, training, and support of potential foster and kinship families;
- Evaluate the ability of children and youth within the system to report maltreatment;
- Monitor ongoing efforts to enhance the use of data to improve outcomes; and
- Consider strategies to ensure better coordination and collaboration among local agencies, faith-based organizations, the private sector, non-profits, and law enforcement to reduce the incidence of abuse and neglect fatalities.
Established under Rule 1, Section 16 (Proclamation, Speaker Joe Straus, 5/15/2014).
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.