House Committee on Public Safety - 72nd R.S. (1991)
- Monitor and oversee legislation enacted during the 72nd regular and Special Called Sessions that was considered by the Committee on Public Safety; Performance Audit Review Recommendations; and any agency-initiated changes.
Carry out budget and oversight responsibilities for all agencies, boards, and commissions listed in Rule 3, Section 27.
A. Monitor and oversee documentation of salary increases.
B. Verify the number and status of outcomes and outputs as identified in the Appropriations Bill (HB 1, 72nd Legislature, 1st Called Session).
C. Review agencies' existing performance standards and determine whether new standards are needed.
- Study the process by which peace officers are commissioned by public, private, and quasi-public entities and to study the conflict of jurisdictional powers and limitations of officers commissioned by entities with limited geographic boundaries.
- Coordinate with and monitor the Criminal Jurisprudence committee's study on youth crime and gangs.
- Study the location of the Law Enforcement Management Institute as authorized by Article 415.092, Government Code.
- Study the feasibility of implementing and funding an emergency network for mobile phone users similar to the 911 available to general phone users.
- Study the indemnification and civil liability of peace officers involved in incidents or accidents while carrying out in good faith the official duties of their office.
- Study the current state and federal laws concerning the right to carry weapons by citizens and other non-commissioned peace officers and to study possible policy alternatives surrounding the issue of allowing citizens to legally carry weapons.
- Study the current organizational status of the Capitol Police Department and study the impact that the Capitol restoration will have on the security of the Capitol.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.