House Committee on Constitutional Amendments - 65th R.S. (1977)
- A study of the rule-making authority of state agencies. This should include a review of the scope of legislative delegation of authority to the executive branch to determine the general confines and policy governing such delegation. Recommendations should be made a to whether these delegations of power exceed the Legislature's authority and thus violate the doctrine of separation of powers as well as whether state agencies are exceeding their constitutional and statutory authority in the rule-making area.
- A study of the doctrines of interposition and state preemption, with specific emphasis on the ability of Texas to protect its priorities against encroachment by the federal government.
- A continued study of reorganization of the state constitution without substantive change, with particular emphasis on the subject of ongoing judicial constitutional interpretation and possible manners of handling the problems associated therewith.
- A study of and catalog of the procedure that is required for Texas to participate in any effort to call a constitutional convention of the states to adopt amendments to the United States Constitution. This study should result in the production of an annotated survey of the exact requirements for such as study.
- Hold hearings on the various suggestions for proposals which would amend the Texas Constitution to provide constitutional limitations on state and local units of government in the areas of taxation and spending.
Mary Jane Bode (Member) appointed 12/21/1977. (Memorandum from Bill Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives, December 21, 1977. See House Press Memos 1978, L1801.1 P926 1978.)
Eddie Bernice Johnson (Member) resigned 9/30/1977.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.