House Committee on Insurance - 69th R.S. (1985)
- Monitor all activities and have budget oversight responsibilities for those agencies, boards and commissions as listed in Rule 3, Section 17.
- Study the advantages and disadvantages of the preferred provider organization (PPO) health insurance plan, with particular emphasis on consideration of quality of services, access to services, cost of care rendered, the effect on existing physician-patient relationships, and a proposed legislative/regulatory structure for such medical care delivery and financing arrangements; in conjunction with Human Services and Public Health Committees.
- Study the need in Texas to make available to newborn infants accident and sickness insurance benefits covering sickness or illness including congenital benefits.
Study possible reforms in the State's mandatory liability insurance laws.
- Study the problems and financial soundness of the CAT (catastrophic) insurance pool and the potential liability to the State of maintaining the present system.
- Study the feasibility of mandatory extended care coverage for head injury victims after that victim has left the initial care facility of a licensed hospital.
- Study the availability of and rising costs of liability insurance in Texas.
- Study liability and insurability problems being faced by the engineering and construction companies who seek to participate in the cleanup of hazardous waste disposal sites in Texas.
Gene Green (Member) sworn in to Senate 5/27/85. Gene Haney (Member) appointed September 1985. (Press Release, Gibson D (Gib) Lewis, Speaker of the Texas House of Representatives, 9/16/1985. See House Speaker Lewis Appointments, L1801.1 P926a 1985-92 3.)
Regular Session, committee appointed by Speaker 1/17/1985: John J. Gavin (Chair), Don Lee (Vice Chair), Bill Carter, Robert Eckels, Gene Green, Kae T. Patrick, Gwyn Clarkston Shea, Ashley Smith, M. A. Taylor.
2nd C.S., committee appointed by Speaker 8/26/1986: John J. Gavin (Chair), Don Lee (Vice Chair), Bill Carter, Robert Eckels, Gene Haney, Kae T. Patrick, Gwyn Clarkston Shea, Ashley Smith, M. A. Taylor.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.