House Committee on Transportation - 68th R.S. (1983)
- To monitor all activities and have budget oversight responsibilities for those agencies, boards and commissions as listed in Rule 3, Section 31.
- To study the financing, administration, and maintenance of county roads, and the relationship of county government to the State Department of Highways and Public Transportation in planning and funding county transportation projects.
- To evaluate the utilization of state and federal funds for highway construction and maintenance by the State Department of Highways and Public Transportation, including an analysis of the impact of increased federal funds, and the Department's procedures for planning, developing, funding, and monitoring highway construction and maintenance projects.
- To review the administration of the public Transportation Fund, including an analysis of the use of the fund by urban and rural areas of the state; the status of projects approved by the State Department of Highways and Public Transportation; the accounting of the fund by the Department, the Legislative Budget Board, and the State Comptroller; and the management of the fund by the State Department of Highways and Public Transportation.
- To study the State Department of Highways and Transportation minority contract programs, the Department's efforts to meet the goals of the Small Business Act and the Surface Transportation Act, including preparation of bids and letting of contracts.
- To study the experience of the cities involved in the states' Commercial zones and the effect that the creation and expansion of these zones has had on the availability and quality of motor transportation service.
- To study the current law dealing with rates and rate setting by the RCT, and recommendations as to whether the current rate setting process contains adequate flexibility to promote competition while insuring stability of the industry.
- To study the agricultural exemptions and procedures established by the last legislature and a review of the implementation of those charges.
Lanny Hall (Chair - Budget and Oversight) resigned 1/13/1984.
George Pierce is listed as a member of the Committee and Tom DeLay is listed as the Chair for Budget and Oversight on the press release regarding House committees issued by Speaker Gib Lewis on April 4, 1984. (Press Release, Speaker of the House Gibson D. (Gib) Lewis, April 5, 1984. See House Speaker Lewis Appointments, L1801.1 P926a 1985-92 2.)
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.