James Emery Neal
Full Name: James Emery "Jim" Neal
Date of birth: September 4, 1875
Date of death: March 11, 1951
Terms of Service top
||Dates of Service
||Counties in District
Jan 8, 1935 - Jan 10, 1939
Mirando City / Webb
Senate President Pro Tempore (44th)
Brooks, Cameron, Dimmit, Duval, Frio, Hidalgo, Jim Hogg, Jim Wells, Kenedy, Kleberg, La Salle, McMullen, Nueces, Starr, Webb, Willacy, Zapata, Zavala
45th Legislature - Roll Call of Senators, holdover Senators "who were Members of the Forty-fourth Legislature and whose terms of office continue for the duration of the Forty-fifth Legislature," 1/12/1937, pp. 1-2.
44th Legislature - Senate President Pro Tempore, Ad Interim 1st C.S., elected 10/15/1935.
44th Legislature - Roll Call of New Senators and Certificate of New Senators, oath of office administered, 1/8/1935, p. 1.
Biographical Notes and Resources top
- James Emery Neal, birth date 9/4/1875, death date 3/11/1951 in Dallas, residence in Mirando City, Webb County, ranchman.
FamilySearch Texas Deaths, 1890-1976.
- Occupational and biographical information - 45th Legislature, Chapter 1, "The Big Job," pp. 1-17.
The Legislature and the Texas People, 1937.
- Obituary, "'Honest Jim' Neal, Who Defeated Archie Parr in Senate Race, Buried; Border Figure Gone," 3/15/1951, p. 9. Death date Sunday 3/11/1951, in Dallas.
- Mentioned in preview of 44th Legislature and discussion of legislative turnover, "Texas House Gets 80 New Members," 10/15/1934, p. 14.
San Antonio Express.
- 45th Legislature (1937) - Jim Neal, postoffice Mirando City, Webb County, nativity Texas, age 60, rancher, Democrat, member of former legislatures: 44th Senate.
Texas Legislative Manual.
Jim Neal, 45th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Jim Neal, 44th Legislature, State Preservation Board
Composite Photographs on Display in the Capitol
Committee Information top
This website is a work in progress. Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.
Have a question, comment or contribution? Email the Library or call 512-463-1252.
Many photos in Texas Legislators: Past and Present are used with permission of the Texas State Preservation Board. For permission to reproduce these photos, please contact the Texas State Preservation Board graphics coordinator at 512-475-3060.