LRL Home - Committees - Committee overview
Committee on Businesses Owned by Women or Minorities, Select - 70th R.S. (1987)
Harold V. Dutton, Jr., Chair
Barry Connelly, Vice Chair
Gwyn Clarkston Shea
Develop recommendations for public policy through which the state may provide assistance to businesses that are owned by women and minorities, with particular attention given to:
1. An assessment of the current and anticipated role women-owned and minority-owned businesses play within the Texas economy;
2. an assessment of the need for a standardized definition of women-owned and minority-owned businesses among state agencies that will be applicable to all agencies.
3. A review of state procurement efforts to identify women-owned and minority-owned business participation in the procurement system of the state with attention given to past and future trends;
4. An evaluation of the effects of state-required bid performance and surety bonding requirements on women-owned and minority-owned businesses;
5. An assessment of capital resources in existence at the federal, state, and local level that are available to women-owned and minority-owned businesses, as well as identification of the state's role in assisting women-owned and minority-owned businesses' access to capital resources;
6. A coordination with efforts being undertaken by the Texas Department of Commerce and other appropriate agencies and state commissions that have an impact on women-owned and minority-owned businesses.
Appointed by the Speaker pursuant to HR 8 and House Rules 1 and 4 on 12/4/1987. Letters from Gibson D. (Gib) Lewis, Speaker of the Texas House of Represenatives, December 4, 1987. See House Speaker Lewis Appointments, L1801.1 P926a 1985-92 3.)
Charge is taken from the report.
Information on this website is provided as a public service by the Legislative Reference Library. The Legislative Reference Library makes no representation as to its completeness or accuracy and makes no warranty in regard to its use. Users assume all risk of reliance on the information included on this site.