On January 20, Greg Abbott will be sworn in as Texas' 45th governor.
Like his predecessors, he will deliver an inaugural address to a joint session of the House and Senate, and festivities will be held throughout the day to celebrate his inauguration.
To commemorate this event, the Library has prepared a new exhibit highlighting Greg Abbott's inaugural festivities, as well as those of former Texas governors Rick Perry, Ann Richards, and W. Lee 'Pappy' O'Daniel. Many of the items featured in the exhibit can be seen in our online collection of gubernatorial inauguration materials.
If you are interested in the work of past governors, the library's governor documents database is a good place to start. You can find things like:
- State budgets that past governors have proposed.
- Emergency matters that past governors have submitted to the Texas Legislature.
- Speeches delivered by past governors, including State of the State speeches and inaugural addresses.
- Executive orders of past governors.
- Bills vetoed by past governors.
If you're looking for something specific and are unable to find it, the library can provide further assistance. Please contact us at (512) 463-1252.
A photo from the exhibit showing Congress Avenue during the inauguration of W. Lee 'Pappy' O'Daniel in 1939.