- View a thread map showing the birthplaces of all of the governors born in Texas—interestingly, only two out of twenty-one were born in the same town. (Rusk gave us both Gov. James Stephen Hogg, the first governor to be born in Texas, and Gov. Thomas Mitchell Campbell.)
- Consider the higher education institutes that helped prepare twenty-eight governors for leadership. (There are a lot more commonalities here than we saw in birthplaces!)
- Enjoy photos and other memorabilia from inauguration festivities, 1939 to 2019.
The screen in the House Chamber displays a welcome message to the members of the House and Senate gathered to hear the governor's message.
- State budgets that past governors have proposed.
- Emergency matters that past governors have submitted to the Texas Legislature.
- Speeches delivered by past governors, including State of the State speeches and inaugural addresses.
- Executive orders of past governors.
- Bills vetoed by past governors.
A photo from the exhibit showing Congress Avenue during the inauguration of W. Lee 'Pappy' O'Daniel in 1939.
Governor Rick Perry recently announced that he will not seek re-election in 2014, leaving an open race for Texas governor in which the incumbent is not running. The last open race for Texas governor occurred in 1990, when Governor Bill Clements did not seek re-election. We examined records going back to the first Texas primary in 1906 to see which other open races for governor have occurred.
|1990 election||William P. Clements||Ann. W. Richards|
|1968 election||John B. Connally, Jr.||Preston Smith|
|1956 election||Robert Allan Shivers||Price Daniel, Sr.|
|1946 election||Coke R. Stevenson||Beauford H. Jester|
|1938 election||James V. Allred||W. Lee O'Daniel|
|1934 election||Miriam Ferguson||James V. Allred|
|1930 election||Daniel J. Moody, Jr.||Ross S. Sterling|
|1924 election||Pat M. Neff||Miriam Ferguson|
|1920 election||William P. Hobby||Pat M. Neff|
|1914 election||Oscar Branch Colquitt||James E. Ferguson|
|1910 election||Thomas Mitchell Campbell||Oscar Branch Colquitt|
|1906 election||S.W.T. Lanham||Thomas Mitchell Campbell|