Interim Hearings – Week of July 27th
Today's Committee Meetings on the LRL website is a calendar of interim committee hearings with links to agendas. Below are resources related to upcoming Interim Hearings.
Senate Committee on Health & Human Services
Charge: Examine the business practices and regulatory structure of Planned Parenthood affiliates in Texas, and investigate whether state or federal laws are being broken by Planned Parenthood and/or its affiliates in Texas in regards to the donation and/or sale of fetal tissue. Consider recommendations to strengthen regulations on abortion providers, including further restrictions on the sale of fetal tissue by these entities.
- "Scientists Say Fetal Tissue Research Rare, But Potentially Powerful," Houston Chronicle, July 19, 2015
- "State Leaders Order Investigations Into Fetal Organ Preservation," Texas Tribune, July 15, 2015
- Texas Penal Code § 48.02, Prohibition of the Purchase and Sale of Human Organs
- 42 U.S. Code § 289g, Fetal Research, § 289g-1, Research on Transplantation of Fetal Tissue, and § 289g-2, Prohibitions Regarding Human Fetal Tissue
- 45 C.F.R. §§ 46.201-46.207, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Additional Protections for Pregnant Women, Human Fetuses and Neonates Involved in Research
House Committee on County Affairs
Topic: Jail standards, procedures with regards to potentially mentally ill persons in county jails, as well as issues stemming from interactions between the general public and peace officers.
- "Jail Where Sandra Bland Died has History of State Rules Violations," Dallas Morning News, July 23, 2015
- Waller County Jail, Special Inspection Report, Texas Commission on Jail Standards, July 16, 2015
- Texas Code of Criminal Procedure Art. 16.22, Early Identification of Defendant Suspected of Having Mental Illness or Mental Retardation
- Texas Local Government Code §§ 351.001 et seq., County Jail Facilities, Jail Standards
- Texas Administrative Code, Title 37, Part 9 (Minimum Jail Standards), Texas Commission on Jail Standards/Texas Secretary of State
- Flow Chart Describing Article 16.22 Requirements, Texas Commission on Jail Standards